1 Try having alcohol free days weekly, at least two days when you don’t touch alcohol. Avoid binge drinking, as large amounts of alcohol in one go, can damage your body.
Drinking more than the recommended limits can have a harmful effect on your heart.
- It can cause abnormal heart rhythms
- Cause high blood pressure
- Damage your heart muscles
Alcohol is packed with high energy (calorie) content so it is important to consider your intake if you are on a weight loss programme.
SO WHAT IS 1 UNIT OF ALCOHOL
- One single pub measure of spirit
- 1/2 a pint of lager, cider, or beer (3.5% ABV)
- 1 small glass of wine 10% ABV
- 1 small glass of liqueur, sherry, or fortified wine.
MEN should not regularly drink more than 3 -4 units of alcohol in a day
WOMEN should not regularly drink more than 2-3 units of alcohol in a day